Thursday, September 7, 2017

Returning




Everybody gets so much information all day long 
that they lose their common sense.

~Gertrude Stein


Work in progress

Here is a detail of the latest work in progress.  More lines appliqued.  Now the hand stitching begins...

It has been an interesting few weeks.  As you may remember,  I stepped back from social media, taking some personal retreat time at home.  I  also limited the time spent with email and on the computer in general.  (I admit there were occasions where I found myself getting hooked back into the computer.  So easy to go down the rabbit hole!)  Whatever activity I engaged in I aimed to focus on doing one thing at a time.  At the midpoint of this retreat time, I went to a community meditation day at the Shambhala center I attend.  

What did I discover from this time away?  I feel clearer, less distracted and more settled.  This approach may not be for everyone, but it suited me well.  As I look to my priorities now, I  am considering spending less time with social media on an ongoing basis. There is so much else that can be done in life when not glued to the screen.

I leave you with this quote by Sara Genn (from The Painter's Keys newsletters):

A studio is an artist’s default fantasy, but a short-term residency, road trip, walk in the woods or desk under the stairs are each also a committed, created place for silence. Allow yourself to be undisturbed, then breathe deeply and focus on 
your own imagination — be delighted.















No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails