Thursday, March 16, 2017

What's in Progress


Creation unfolds like calm breakers.
Constant slow movement teaches us to keep working
like a small creek that stays clear,
that doesn’t stagnate, 
but finds a way through numerous details, deliberately. 
 ~Rumi, excerpt from “Deliberation”




Work in process, Linda A. Miller
Detail work in process

I have been absorbed in art making...  playing with several ideas.  This quilt began as an exercise from Jane Dunnewold's Creative Strength Training, in the chapter "Learning to Make and Take Time" that encourages slowing down and savoring the process.  It was the perfect entry for me to nudge my creativity back into action.  The exercise was loosely based a game to take a number (originally totaling my age) of random bits of things and put them together.  I began with ink marks on rice paper, which I cut up and appliqued to cloth. (Note to self: let's do more exploring with paper!)  I added fabric swatches on which I had made leaf rubbings.  These were all assembled on the cloth, and the stitching began- embroidery, quilting.  I love the process of needle to cloth.

Conversation by Linda A. Miller
Conversation by Linda A. Miller



All the hand work is solitude time: Joy!  Ideal addition to the already-made commitment to myself to sit (in meditation) everyday. This mini retreat has helped me move away from feeling so hijacked by news and social media.  Allowing some balance to return, even while staying informed and active.  

The word "kindness" has been percolating in me since last fall, with the building divisiveness of pre/post election events.  The small piece below is my first attempt in working on a kindness theme in cloth... still in process, so stay tuned.

Work in process, Linda A. Miller





Be well, friends, and thank you for visiting my blog!  Thanks to Jane Dunnewold for bringing Rumi's "Deliberation" to my attention.

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.  Be sure to visit the site.









1 comment:

  1. Très inspirant et le mot "gentillesse" me parle beaucoup

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails