Tuesday, November 15, 2016

On the Wind



Let me keep my distance, always, from those
  who think they have the answers.
Let me keep company always with those who say
“Look!” and laugh in astonishment,
and bow their heads.
~ Mary Oliver



I intended to finish this post last week but got distracted, enough said.  Meet my newly completed "On the Wind", which came into being due to various stash discoveries made while cleaning out my studio space over the summer. 

On the Wind by Linda A. Miller 2016

I pieced together the background with strips of blues, which were mostly leftover from other quilt projects.  Smaller strips were appliqued on.  Embroidery was added.

On the Wind by Linda A. Miller 2016


I re-purposed the three thread painted rectangles from an old quilt of mine.  (Felt liberating to cut up something that no longer worked for me!)  These elements were initially created using the same beginning process as my fiber bowls... by sandwiching threads, bits of fabric and yarn between sheets of soluble stabilizer and stitching them together.  The result is a new piece of fabric.


On the Wind by Linda A. Miller 2016


To complete the prayer flag imagery, I paired the three rectangles with another prayer flag weaving made several years ago.  The weaving consists of strips of decayed prayer flag from my yard, then woven together with other fabric strips, embellished and embroidered.  A side note... traditionally it is suggested old prayer flags not be thrown out but burned instead.  All of these elements were appliqued and stitched to the background. Finally, I couched a yarn strand across the flags.

I have long been inspired by the prayer flag tradition.  As you may know, I also created an ongoing group flag project, The Bhavana Project (please visit, new participants are welcome).  Prayer flags are called Lung Ta in Tibetan, which translates as "wind horse".  Thus the imprinted prayers and aspirations ride on the wind spreading benefit across the land.  Indeed inspiring, don't you agree?  And some uplifting energy is needed right now.

I am looking to enter this one in the next Sacred Threads exhibition.

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.  Visit to see wonderful art!






4 comments:

  1. Very nice - it's so fun to re-purpose art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Oliver truly speaks to me/us with the artists'heart.
    Thank you for hearing and quoting and for sharing your flags on the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work and I so love the Mary Oliver quote!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails