Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A Day at the Museum

Taking a break from garden activities (more on that to follow), I met my friend Terry at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena for a lovely day out.  No special exhibits going on currently, so we enjoyed their permanent collection and lunch in the garden.  The museum has several Rembrandt paintings, including one self portrait, which I had forgotten about not having visited that gallery for a while.  Looking into the eyes of his subjects are mesmerizing.  Such depth and soul residing within.

And some images from my favorite Rodin sculptures in the gardens.

Rodin at Norton Simon






Rodin at Norton Simon





Rodin at Norton Simon





Rodin at Norton Simon




I have been applying my creative energy to my garden recently.  Noticing how stressed everything was getting from our ongoing drought and water restrictions, I decided it was time to begin to remedy the situation by rebuilding soil, transitioning beds and more.  Very satisfying work, despite sore muscles!  The example below is one bed in transition.  I took out a failing old rose, along with other plants, then mulched and composted the soil.


garden
Before the process began...



garden
Ready to mulch...

This bed will now be a mixture of flowers and edibles. (Wondering about the cages around some of the plants? These are protection for the young plants from the local gardener squirrels who are burying acorns from a neighboring oak tree in my beds and pots!)


garden
A refreshed bed.

A new beginning!  Watching how things progress over the next few months...




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails