Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Change in Format




An artist is an explorer. He has to begin by self-discovery and by observation of his own procedure. After that he must not feel under any constraint.
~ Henri Matisse


You never know quite what will happen when opening to change.  Itching to work larger, I've been experimenting with these recent brushwork pieces.  Going from 12" x 12" to almost double the size does alter my approach.  With the smaller size, stitching and imagery elements could be simple and sparse.  I felt this new format would need more complexity, even while maintaining the overall simplicity.  A bit about my process...

Stage one- Ink on raw silk
Stage one- Ink on raw silk

After painting on the silk, I fused the raw edge color blocks, and machine quilted them.  Hand embroidery outlines each block.  I hand quilted around the ink work and with wide horizontal lines on the background.  As I mentioned, simplicity is key.  Preferring a clean edge, I used the same pillowcase finish as with other pieces in the Sonata series.


Sonata in Green by Linda A. Miller
Sonata in Green - 22" x 15"



Sonata in Green by Linda A. Miller
Sonata in Green (detail)


Approaching Sonata in Blue in a similar manner, I expanded on the amount of stitching used.  It is echo quilted: hand quilted around the ink work; machine quilted and hand embroidered in and around the blocks.  I used a facing to finish this quilt.


Sonata in Blue by Linda A. Miller
Sonata in Blue,  23.5" x 24"

You might wonder, why so much hand quilting?  Besides enjoying the slowness of the process, I appreciate the textural quality that the imperfect hand stitching lends to the quilt.

 
Sonata in Blue by Linda A. Miller
Sonata in Blue (detail)

I'd love to hear your thoughts.    Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.  Visit the site to see some wonderful work.













 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Linda. So glad I stopped by. I just LUV your brush series and the hand quilting adds the dimension that makes it so sophisticated. This is the reason I prefer fabric and thread over canvas/paper and paint--the possibility of subtle dimension. Very elegant. Brava!

    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your ability to distill an idea into such elegant, simple forms...and the hand stitch is a perfect complement to that. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think hand stitching is perfect for these works - I can't imagine doing by machine.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails