Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Common Threads

Bhavana Project Prayer Flags
Bhavana Project Prayer Flags, 2013

I had a fabulous time talking about prayer flags and the Bhavana Project at the Westside Quilters' meeting on Saturday.  Interest was sparked which may bring some new participants, but mostly  I just loved sharing the flags with a new audience.

Sharing prayer flags
At the meeting...



Bhavana Project Prayer Flags, 2015
Bhavana Project Prayer Flags, 2015

Knowing only a bit about Mark Lipinski through friends who have taken his workshops, I was pleasantly surprised by his lively talk.  Listening to Mark's journey to the Slow Stitching Movement, I found myself nodding in agreement with a lot of what was shared.  The Slow Stitching Movement, modeled after the global Slow Food movement, is open to all fiber and needle artists to encourage slowing down, enjoying the process, and creating art to be proud of.   The movement is not limited to hand work, as Mark uses the machine for his slow stitching.  It is about being present with whatever you are doing.  

Those who follow my blog can see why I have an affinity for this idea... you have probably seen my posts about Slow Cloth, and Slow Art.  I am pleased to see the idea growing.  We need an alternative choice to the ever growing speediness, one that allows us to appreciate and celebrate our humanness.









 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails