Tuesday, August 25, 2015

In Appreciation...

Did you know August is Artist Appreciation Month?  In honor of the month let me introduce Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo. (Regular readers may have seen her mentioned in my past posts.)

Lotus 2000, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo
Lotus 2000, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo

Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo is a contemporary textile artist, teacher, and caretaker of a sacred Tibetan appliqué tradition. She trained in Dharamsala, India, as an apprentice to an appliqué master, T.G. Dorjee Wangdu.  Leslie is one of only a few women practicing the art.

I first connected online with Leslie through our mutual membership in the Textile and Fiber Arts List (TAFA).  We met in person at the opening of her Threads of Awakening studio, where I later came to teach prayer flag workshops.  

Padmapani 2004, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo
Padmapani 2004, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo

I am inspired by the vibrant color, precision and delicate line of Leslie's work.  I appreciate the time and patience that goes into the hand stitching for these beautiful thangkas since taking one of Leslie's day workshops. That process brought a deeper connection to the handwork I use on my own pieces.  It is easy to resonate with the joy and spirit that shines through Leslie's work, emanating from the artist herself.  She shares her work with enthusiasm and passion, making it accessible to all.  It is a pleasure to know her.  Learn more about Leslie.


Three Mongolians 2006, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo
Three Mongolians 2006, by Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo



Thank you to Patience Brewster.com for letting me know about Artist Appreciation month.  In case you don't know, Patience is the artist behind the hand designed Christmas ornaments her company produces.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails