Monday, June 22, 2015

Afternoon at the Getty

When my nephew suggested a Sunday trip to the Getty Museum I was, of course, up for going despite having recently visited (see my post on the Turner exhibit).  It was a lovely day up on the hill.  Good to see the space and the art through the eyes of family as I (somewhat) led a tour... new discoveries were made going into galleries I had not seen in a while.

Head with Horns by Paul Gauguin

I was captivated by Paul Gauguin's sandalwood sculpture "Head with Horns", acquired by the Getty in 2002.  I could not recall seeing this piece before.  It was mesmerizing.

Now on is a special exhibit of Degas' work -  "Russian Dancers and the Art of Pastel".  Pastel was a  medium of choice, and he was a master. (As a student artist, I made copies of numerous Degas drawings, practicing my craft).  I always enjoy seeing the layers and textures created by the pastel on paper.  The exhibit runs through October 11, 2015.

And some more views for your enjoyment-


La Folie Des Grandeurs (Delusions of Grandeur)
Rene Magritte, 1967
At the Getty Center






With family, overlooking the city...

A good day with family.  Great adventure for the summer solstice!











5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day, Linda! I bet it will inspire you in the days to come in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for sharing your visits to the Getty Museum. Your pictures are a great treat for those of us who are no longer within visiting distance. You and your family are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share it! Thanks, Linda.

      Delete
  3. I love that place, but it's been quite a while since I have been there. It's a bit far to go for me. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails