Saturday, May 16, 2015

Turner Paintings

Now on at the Getty Center, J.M.W. Turner: Painting Set Free is a remarkable exhibit bringing together 60 oil and watercolor paintings from Turner's later years.  I have been a fan of Turner's work ever since my art student days in England ... viewing the Turners at the Tate was a must do on visits to London. In this current exhibit I was particularly fascinated by his watercolors.  They are masterful, delicate expressions of light and atmosphere.   This was one of my favorites:

The Blue Rigi, Sunrise, 1842, J. M. W. Turner, watercolor  Photo © Tate, London 2014

The Blue Rigi, Sunrise, 1842, J.M.W. Turner, watercolor
Photo © Tate, London 2014

Organized by the Tate Britain, J.Paul Getty Center and  Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, it is the first time that such a large number of Turner works have been on view on the west coast.  This exhibit at the Getty closes May 24th, and will open in San Francisco on June 20th.  I highly recommend it!

I am always uplifted by my visits to the Getty... there is an expansiveness about the place, situated as it is on a rise overlooking the city.  Here are some views from my day.


Getty Center



Getty Center garden



Getty Center



Getty Center














1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful. If it was nearer to me, I would definitely visit.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails