Friday, December 19, 2014

Readings

buddha at Pacific Asia Museum




December has brought SoCal some glorious and much needed rain.  Everything feels washed clean.  May it continue, to shift the drought conditions.

Whether already celebrating or still preparing, how are your holidays going?  I wanted to pass along some inspiring book titles that I recently read.  


"The Art of Stillness- Adventures of Going Nowhere" by Pico Iyer is a lovely petite book about discoveries made when doing nothing.  Iyer writes, "Stillness is not just an indulgence for those with enough resources - is is a necessity for anyone who wishes to gather less visible resources."  Watch Iyer speak on this TED Talk.

In "The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life" Donna Jackson Nakazawa, having suffered for years with chronic illness, relates her healing journey using meditation, yoga and acupuncture in a very down to earth way.  She brings in the science behind each of those modalities and why they work to bring benefit.  It was fascinating reading and a book I can recommend not only to you, but to my yoga students.

I will have some holiday projects to post, but they will have to wait until after Christmas!


Postscript:  I know the word "cure" is a loaded one.  However, it is what Donna Nakazawa chose to describe her healing process.  Others may have used a different word.














1 comment:

  1. All of this information is very...um...interesting BUT...Type 1 Diabetes, for example is considered (by some) an autoimmune disorder...but clearly not one that can be treated -- or cured! -- by the workings of the mind via meditation, yoga, etc. While I believe my husband lived longer (dying at 53, after almost 47 years with T1D) than he might have otherwise -- due to (as friends put it) a loving marriage -- there is no cure for T1D in the physical realm and all the positive, meditative, prayerful focus in the world will not produce a cure! It is high time we humans became humble enough to acknowledge that we are not in charge...and that all life on earth comes to an end, only to evolve into a different sort of life in an even better place...hard as that is to imagine. It's the requirement of humility that makes dying so difficult.

    It is important for hard science, "soft" science and "spiritual" science to work together but in the end...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails