Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer Presence


prayer flags
Prayer Flags

Several prayer flags... and more to share in the upcoming workshop on techniques.  For these two I used tea bags to make leaf rubbings, then appliqued the paper to the hand dyed cotton flag.  Breathe, inhale and exhale are all reminders to stay present.

prayer flags
Prayer Flags

The third addition is a leaf rubbing directly on the fabric with oil sticks, paint added later... and writing (Stay, Inhale, Exhale, Stay) about staying with the breath in the present.  Where I am living now.  See more on flags here

I am enjoying the recent quiet lull of summer days.  After the months of nursing Rosie, then navigating new territory (along with my supportive family) during Mom's recovery process, it is good to have some simple ordinary days here at home.  Among other things, I have been immersed in reading women's heartfelt words... what books?  Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair by Anne Lamott, The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison, and now... When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams.  I recommend them all.  What are you reading?

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.




I don't think anyone 'finds joy'.  Rather, we cultivate it by searching for the preciousness 
of small things, the ordinary miracles that strengthen our hearts 
so we can keep them open to what is most difficult.
~ Dawna Markova


2 comments:

  1. Your prayer flags are fantastic! Thank you for sharing them with us. I've had it on my list of things to try for ages and it just keeps getting pushed down the list. You have inspired me to put it at the top :-)
    As a child I never read any of the Anne of Green Gables books so when I saw the collection on free audiobook download I jumped at it. I think I appreciate it more as an adult as I would have as a kid. Anne's imagination and lust for life just makes me feel good. Having it set in such a beautiful place as PIE doesn't hurt either and the descriptions of the places and things, well I. An just picture it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun summer listening with Anne of Green Gables... enjoy!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails