Thursday, October 31, 2013

Winter Approaches

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, 
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy."
- Thich Nhat Hanh

A wonderful reminder that we can simply uplift ourselves.  Something I have needed to hear this week with its challenges, which included cat nursing.  Thanks to Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo for the quote.

On a break from making bowls, I revised an older piece, "Winter", by adding machine couching and hand embroidery.  They add more interest and sparkle to the quilt, in my opinion.  What do you think of the changes?  (Disregard the difference in colors in photos below. I did not change that element.)  The sun is double appliqued - white over yellow over the background.  The undulating icicle lines are fusible applique on the raw silk hand dye.  I used metallic embroidery thread for some subtle detailing.


Winter (revised 2013) Linda A Miller
Winter (revised 2013)


Winter (revised 2013) Linda A Miller
Winter (detail of revised quilt)


Winter (2008) Linda A Miller
Winter (original)

It feels timely to be working on this quilt with winter approaching. 

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.








11 comments:

  1. Oh yes! The added couching add depth to the icicle lines. They remind me of seaweed. If I were to lay down in a sea marsh and gaze at the moon, this is what I would see :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words create a delightful image in themselves! Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be more texture to the piece now, but alas, Linda, my monitor didn't pick up the differences well. :-( I'll take your word for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The added couching and hand embroidery does add more sparkle and depth! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the red (pink?) couching livens up the whole piece, while the turquoise and the blue play supportive roles. I have to say, I didn't notice the blue right away, but I love finding little surprises that keep me looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry... it is difficult to show all the details via photos and I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. While I can't differentiate exactly what is new, I find the current version intriguing. Hope that it made you smile and turned your week joyful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! It is challenging to see details in photos....

      Delete
  7. It's a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails