Friday, August 23, 2013

Taking in the Details

work in progress Linda A Miller
Work in progress embroidery detail

The progress continues with finishing touches...  Satisfied with the purple background, I am filling in embroidery stitches.  Reminded once again how feelings about the work shifts over time.  The work pace also changes, with slower more contemplative phases and more energetically driven phases. Pleased with it now, and motivated to finish!  Then I will reveal it....

work in progress Linda A Miller
Work in progress...upper corner

A good part of this week was spent helping to refinish wood trim at my local meditation center.  Rediscovering muscles I have not felt in some time.  Also rediscovering how beautiful wood grain can be. So much focus on detail.  It was a very satisfying project to be a part of.




Reading Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day" out loud on a daily basis... embodying the wonderfulness of that poem which ends with these lines:


I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?


Finally, linking to Off the Wall Friday where you can see what others are up to....






4 comments:

  1. Yes; the calming effects of one stitch at a time. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Margaret!

      Delete
  2. Good post Linda, nice to see your work progress, rich colors... and I love that poem. We had it a reading for both of my sons' bar mitzvahs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nanci! Isn't Mary Oliver remarkable?

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails