Monday, August 5, 2013

Quilts & Techniques IQF Style


Giving demos at IQF



Saturday was a full and rich day at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach.  In the morning at the SAQA booth I gave demos on the shrinking technique I use for creating texture in quilts.  I met some wonderful people and received good responses.  A number of folks asked about classes, and I am now giving serious thought to teaching in the future.  Thank you to SAQA reps Deborah Stanley and Teresa Shippy for the opportunity to share these ideas with others.  It is a very satisfying feeling.

(The quilt pictured in the background is by Katie Pasquini Masopust.)




In the afternoon I was free to wander the exhibits to enjoy the spectacular work on show.  My friend, Terry Waldron, lent her expertise on a docent tour of SAQA's Seasonal Palette  and A Sense of Scale exhibits.  I spent more time with Seasonal Palette, which brought together a collection of amazing pieces by world renowned artists.  Highlights:  Arle Sklar-Weinstein's intricate layering, Maya Chaimovich's intense colors and Nancy G. Cook's fine stitching & painting.  Since photos were not allowed, you can see the works on this 2012 video tour by Luana Rubin.


Terry Waldron leads docent tour.  Photo courtesy Terry Waldron.

Exquisite Moments is this year's excellent Dinner at Eight Artists exhibit curated by Jamie Fingal and Leslie Tucker Jenison.  The exhibit will be in Houston and travel to other venues from there.  Here are some selected pieces from the exhibit: 

Sherry Davis Kleinman with "Waiting Expectantly"
Sherry Davis Kleinman with "Waiting Expectantly"


Grocery Shopping with Sammy
"Grocery Shopping with Sammy" by Cindy Cooksey


"Fiji" by Karen Rips
"Fiji" by Karen Rips



"Stitching, Interrupted" by Pamela Klebaum
"Stitching, Interrupted" by Pamela Klebaum


From A World of Beauty 2012:

"Silk" by Hollis Chatelain
"Silk" by Hollis Chatelain
Hollis Chatelain's piece incorporates Thai silks and extensive vibrating stitching.  A quilt that needs to be viewed in person to take in all the details.


"Tutti Frutti Village" by Susan Bleiweiss
"Tutti Frutti Village" by Susan Bleiweiss

Sorry to see the IQF leave Long Beach.  May the new location in Oregon prove successful.  It is my understanding it will include more than quilts with the addition of other fiber crafts.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    I am re-surfacing again from travels. Thank you so much for posting these photos. The Dinner at Eight exhibit looks totally intriguing and I wish I could have seen it! Glad that you enjoyed trying your hand at teaching. Maybe more will be in your future.
    Take care,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That exhibit is traveling to Houston and on...worth seeing if you can.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting my quilt! I'm sorry I left the festival Saturday morning, so I missed you and your demo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your quilt, Cindy. Sorry to have missed you!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails