Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Building Community

Sacred Threads Wish Tree
Sacred Threads Wish Tree

We all seek to create community on one level or another.  As an example, earlier in the summer my neighborhood had its first ever block party, and it was a huge success.  Neighbors socialized over plates with yummy food from the potluck, while kids enjoyed the water slide.  I finally met some people who I have waved to from afar over the years.  It allowed all of us to feel more connected on this street where we live.  May the feeling continue.

Connection links with art making as well.  When artwork goes to an exhibit, I never really know how others connect to it, unless I can attend the opening and even that is not a guarantee.  It is wonderful to get feedback.  Sacred Threads provided that opportunity for viewers and artists.  My quilts returned from the exhibit with a number of extra treasures in the box.  All the committee members signed the envelope thanking us for sharing our work in the exhibit (well, not directly, it was printed, but you get the idea).  There was the photograph, shown here, from the Wish Tree.... exhibit attendees could write a wish on a card that was hung on the tree for the duration of the show.  Also included were comment forms from viewers, answering the question: How did this quilt touch you?  I was moved by those responses.  Thank you to each anonymous person who took the time to share their experience from seeing "Linear Moves" and "Heart's Vision".  The viewer provides an important element of connection to the work, would you not agree?  They complete it.  I created to share the work with you.  Otherwise it would be creating in a vacuum.  We all have to work at building and sustaining the connection.
 






4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to receive viewer comments on your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that is it wonderful to receive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, totally, about receiving comments with our returned work. I too was thrilled and have put them away for safe keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails