Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Linear Moves Revealed



black and white calligraphy lines on quilt
Linear Moves  -  54" x 30" © 2012 Linda A. Miller





"Linear Moves" is included in the Sacred Threads exhibition through July 28 in Herndon, VA.  This quilt has been a part of the touring exhibit Black and White with a Twist  which debuted at the International Quilt Festival (IQF) in Long Beach July 2012, and is scheduled to go to the Pacific International Quilt Festival (PIQF) in October.  










Sacred Threads statement reads:  I am inspired by the essential beauty in the ink calligraphy of Asian art traditions.  Having worked with this meditative art form on paper, I wanted to translate the essence of the brushwork to cloth.  By staying present with each step of painting and sewing, the process became a contemplative practice that allowed me to express the freshness of the moment in a direct way.  To maintain simplicity in the overall presentation, I was influenced by the framing layouts of Asian scrolls in my arrangement of the borders. 

black and white ink lines on quilt
Linear Moves (detail) © 2012 Linda A. Miller

Regular readers know that I have been exploring contemplative art, linking meditation and creative process, within Shambhala Art programs.  What do I mean by contemplative practice?  Being fully open to the moment, engaged with all your senses.  Working in this manner is a calmer, clearer approach to making art. (Not to say this is how I always work!)  It seemed natural to connect meditation and creativity, so why not extend this to quilting?  Hand work is especially well suited to contemplative process.  For this quilt, I began by creating ink mark drawing on cloth.  This center section was machine pieced together with borders.  It was hand and machine quilted, with some added hand embroidery.  It proved to be a wonderful project.  I am pleased to be able to share it with you through these exhibits.


Sacred Threads quilt exhibit
Overview of exhibit - Photo courtesy of Sacred Threads


Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.

"Without seeing things as they are, it is hard to create art. Our perceptions are obscured and our mind is not fresh, so making art becomes a troubled, futile process by which we're trying to create something based on concept."
- Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche





 

14 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful piece! I wish I could see it in the exhibit. I love the simplicity and the movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! Wish I could have gone, too!!

      Delete
  2. I love the simplicity of this piece, Linda. Beautiful portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully created, Linda. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this piece very much. It is very calming and zen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece - I can see why you mention calmness !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone else said it first, but I love the elegant simplicity of this work. Not an easy task to accomplish, but you did it. It's a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing this piece while attending the Sacred Threads show! Congratulations.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you were able to attend! Loved reading about it on your blog.

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails