Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Heart's Vision Described

quilt with turquoise eye and tears for compassion
Heart's Vision -  24" x 32.5"
© 2011 Linda A. Miller

"Heart's Vision" is now on exhibit at Sacred Threads 2013 through July 28th.  In answer to questions about this quilt's process, here are the techniques I used:  fused applique of horizontal and vertical shapes in center panel, with the "eye" also fused and heavily thread painted.  The "tears" were threadpainted separately on soluble stabilizer and appliqued on.  Side panels were machine pieced in striped commercial cottons and turquoise silk, with undulating details fused.  The quilt was machine quilted, and hand embroidered.  The colors of red and turquoise represent heart and clarity.


quilt detail with turquoise eye and tears on red background
Heart's Vision (detail)
© 2011 Linda A. Miller

My statement for Sacred Threads reads:  There is an aspiration practice in the Buddhist tradition that asks:  “May I be free from suffering.  May you be free from suffering.  May we be free from suffering.”   The intention is to contact genuine compassion.  Connecting to the heart, in pain or joy, allows us to see the world more clearly.

The original quilt was missing something.  Planning to submit the quilt to this year's Sacred Threads, I set about refining the image to better express my intended theme of compassion.  In my estimation, it worked successfully once the top was cropped and the tears added.  Yes, it seems the jurors agreed.  I was very pleased that "Heart's Vision" was accepted into the exhibit!

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.



18 comments:

  1. and I hope the Buddist quote was also added for those seeing it at the exhibit. Very very lovely. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. I assume the statements will be with the quilts at the exhibit!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work. Linda. One day I hope to join you at Sacred Threads...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see you there too! Thank you Margaret!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful, Linda. I am glad you kept refining it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reposted this on OTWF since it wasn't linked quite correctly - now it comes right here - grin!!! And yes - of course I'll get pictures - Judy already had your back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you, Nina Marie!

      Delete
  6. Very moving and well deserving of its presence in Sacred Threads. Wish I could be there to see it in person. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I wish I could be there as well!

      Delete
  7. This is fantastic and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors just grabbed my eye every time I walked by at the exhibit. Stunning use of color and a great composition makes for a fabulous piece! Glad to have seen it. I think I took a picture too, I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I wish I could have been there to see all of them myself.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful piece Linda. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails