Friday, June 21, 2013

Solstice of Light

Sun quilt with red yellow pink lavender turquoise atmosphere
Heart Broken Open  - 18" x 19.5"
© 2010 Linda A. Miller

Awake, my dear, 
be kind to your sleeping heart
Take it out to the vast field of light 
and let it breathe.
- Hafiz


Ah!  Reminders of summer on this solstice day.  Sharing with you "Heart Broken Open", which seemed fitting for the season. From 2010, this is a whole cloth quilt; techniques include: dye painted, potato resist, water color pencils, machine quilted, hand embroidered.





Summer blueberries in my garden!

I was honored to be this week's featured blogger on Nanci Hersh's Artist as Collector series.  Many thanks to Nanci for the opportunity!  I wrote about my appreciation of mola textiles, the art form by the Kuna artisans of the San Blas islands.   As a postscript, I have since learned that the islands are threatened with rising waters, and the Kuna must relocate to other areas such as Costa Rica.  What this will mean to the culture of the Kuna we can only guess.  Heartbreaking.

textile bird on black with green orange and blue lines
Mola Textile circa 1980


Thanks to American Viniyoga Institute for the reminder of the beautiful Hafiz quote. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Linda. Lovely piece--I like your work with light. On the other hand, I don't even want to think about the Kuna and rising water or I'll get terribly angry. Why don't you do a quilt series on that subject since you appreciate the Molas? It would be very intense!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Nadia. Hmm a series on the molas...food for thought!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails