Friday, May 24, 2013

Pacifying Passion

  Pacifying Passion quilt in reds
Pacifying Passion © 2013 Linda A. Miller

"There is no art without contemplation."
-Robert Henri


This work is a reflection on the calming the hot emotional qualities of  red.  Soothing with horizontal linear design elements.  The process began by free motion stitching on a color gradated wholecloth top with wool felt batting.  The quilted top was rinsed in hot water and hung to dry.  I decided to only use a hand wash method to keep the accumulation of wool fuzz to a minimum...there is always a migration of fuzz to the top that requires removal after machine washing/dryer processing.  This produced an appealing effect with a subtle degree of shrinkage and texture.





From that point, I appliqued on undulating layers in a mix of prints.  The sun is also appliqued.  Yarns were machine couched to follow the lines of movement.  Some oil stick embellishment was added to heighten detail, with finishing touches of hand embroidery.


  Pacifying Passion embroidery couching details


Though "Pacifying Passion" did not get accepted into the exhibit it was intended for, the act of aiming for the show inspired my motivation to complete it.  Sometimes an external goal can help create work that might not have been done otherwise.  Have you found this to be true for you?  I am sure this quilt will find an exhibition/home in the future. 

Linking to Off the Wall Fridays.  See what others are creating over there....




6 comments:

  1. Splendid! Love the quilting around the sun. Hope it finds an exhibit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely piece. I think my best piece so far was one that was not accepted for its intended purpose and I wouldn't have made it if not for that exhibit. I'm so glad I went ahead with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that works out, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Linda, I love the textures that you created. Sorry it wasn't accepted at the show you first tried, but we both know there are so many variables in being accepted. I am sure it will find its place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know the variables....it will find a home in the future...

      Delete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails