Monday, March 25, 2013

Vermeer and More...




The exquisite "Woman in Blue Reading a Letter" by Johannes Vermeer is on loan to the Getty until March 31, 2013.  It will return to its home in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam for the grand reopening of the newly renovated museum on April 13.  This is the first showing of the painting in the western U.S. and the end of a world tour. 

 

Not wanting to miss it, I took myself up to the museum for a bit of an art adventure among the weekend crowds.  I was struck by how small the painting seemed (18" x 15") after seeing the large exhibition posters.  It drew me in...how beautifully the blues and ochers accent the contemplative scene.  So many questions come to mind about the scene with the woman...who was she, who was the letter from?  It felt like an intimate experience.













The bonus of the day was seeing the spectacular azalea gardens still in bloom.  The grounds are always uplifting with the large open spaces among the travertine buildings of the Center overlooking the west side of Los Angeles.  A bit of a hazy day, but beautiful none the less.








5 comments:

  1. Beautiful gardens, Linda. Glad you got to see the painting. I always love it when I get to see in person something I have studied.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That painting is indeed striking. The young woman is very pregnant. I find myself wondering if the letter is from her mother...or her beloved husband?

    P.S. The gardens are pretty too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't just so evocative...draws us in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your photos of the gardens. It reminded me of when we visited the Getty, and it's been much too long.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails