Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Plugged In or Not?

I am grateful for the wonder of technology and information that we have at our fingertips.  However I have concerns, including the loss of privacy and solitude..as you may have read in a number of my blog posts.   So on that subject, here is another thought provoking On Being interview, this time with Sherry Turkle, director of the MIT Initiative on Technology and Self.  The question becomes how can we use these these devices and maintain some vital alive connections with those in our daily lives?  Both children and adults are affected when their loved ones were tuned into devices.  So how do we maintain balance?  I take time to unplug for some balance.  How do you deal with this issue in your own life?

Along the same vein, I have been absorbed in reading Nicholas Carr's "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains".  An in depth look at the question: While we enjoy all the internet has to offer, are we sacrificing our ability to read and think deeply?  I certainly see changes in my own levels of distraction with spending more time online.  What is your experience?   I am eager to finish the book and what I have read so far is fascinating...hope you will check it out.

Alone Together © 2012 Sherry Davis Kleinman


My friend and fellow fiber artist, Sherry Kleinman, has come up with a creative exploration of the technology question.  She has begun a series of quilts called "Alone Together", depicting groups of people in various stages of connection/disconnection.  Sherry uses technology and hand skills to create these compelling images, becoming an interesting counterpoint.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Linda.

    At my day job, everyone has a TV on their desks. The constant noise is overwhelming at times. When I drive to and from work, I have my car radio turned off. There are times when I come home, I just sit on my couch and tune out...no tv, phone, etc. I need this time to recharge before I can work on my art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback, Mia! Great that you can unplug for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think many of us (especially those over 40!) struggle with this. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur because I don't participate in facebook and I have a "dumb" phone. But I don't really want all that connectivity. We have to determine what we want from the technology and make wise choices about when we use and when we unplug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very well put Lisa. It is a matter of balance and keeping some sacred offline space.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails