Monday, February 4, 2013

Caravaggio


Yesterday I spent some time at LACMA with the extensive exhibit "Bodies and Shadows: Caravaggio and His Legacy".   I was fascinated to be reminded of Caravaggio's dramatic lighting, and how he used it to pull in the viewer.  More impressive seeing the actual paintings in person than in print, of course.  It was an interesting comparison viewing the other 20 artists included in the exhibit who followed in his style.  I always appreciate seeing Georges de La Tour's work, especially the evocative "The Magdalene with the Smoking Flame", from LACMA's permanent collection.  This exhibit closes this week, 2/10/13.

As I was going through the galleries I could not help but notice that more than half of the patrons were plugged in with the exhibition's audio guided tour.  Even here, viewing classic art, we are connected to the electronic world.   On the one hand, it is fabulous to gain a background of art history.  However, if that is the only way one sees the art, it seems to me that something gets lost.  I feel viewing art is a sensory experience...try standing in front of a painting and let it wash over you.  See it with all your senses, and not just your mind.  Have you tried that way of viewing?  Would love to hear about your experience.

 

3 comments:

  1. I've never used the audio when viewing art. I think it's distracting. I agree with you that using all your senses when viewing art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting looking plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input, Mia! Lynn, the plant at LACMA is in the cactus/succlent family I believe.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails