Friday, January 25, 2013

Road to CA


Happily, I had the opportunity to spend part of yesterday with friends at the quilt conference extravaganza, Road To California.  Road had been held at the Ontario Convention Center in January for many, many years.  For those who are unfamiliar with the event, called the Best in the West, there are Quilt exhibits to see, vendors to buy from, and classes to take.

There were some exhibits of note... I was excited by "Perspectives: Fantasy and Reality" curated by Sheila Frampton Cooper.  The quilts were wonderful explorations of the theme, with work by Hollis Chatelain, Sherry Kleinman, Sandra Lauterbach and many more.  Sheila promises to post a video tour of the quilts on her blog at a later date, and I will pass the link on to you.

Quilts on the Wall debuted  the 2012 fall collection "Magnified View".  I enjoyed "Main Street USA - Route 66" curated by Patt Blair and Kelly Gallagher-Abbott, with the 50 quilts being displayed with a 66 foot quilted map of the historic route.

There were many wonderful individual quilts as well.  Road has less focus on art quilts as compared with the IQF.  I must say, it is always a bit overwhelming to try to take in all that is on offer at these venues....  I really don't try to see it all.  I did not have any of my own work there this year.  Sorry, but I did not get photos from the exhibits. I will post links to photos as I find them.  However here is another shot facing the San Bernardino Mountains during a respite from the rain.

Ontario






1 comment:

  1. I agree it was a wonderful show. I was wowed by the special exhibits. Like you, I did not have a quilt there, for the first time in maybe 12 years.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails