Friday, November 16, 2012

Finding Spirit






"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable." - Robert Henri

Of late I have been reading, in very slow stages, Robert Henri's "The Art Spirit".  Born in 1865, Henri was an American artist and inspired teacher.  The book, published in 1923, is a compilation of his notes, articles, talks and letters about art making and art appreciation containing much that remains timeless.  Not the sort of book to go through all at once, but one that I feel I will revisit again and again.


6 comments:

  1. I have that book. Perhaps I will follow your lead, reading a little bit here and there. It's not a book to plow through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that quote Linda. I haven't heard it before. Must go write it down... : )

    I like your blog. I mean that whole heartedly. I'm sorry I don't blog hop as much as I should. I'm going to poke around your site a little longer. : )

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Monika K.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote gives words to what my heart knew. It wonderfully shifts my focus from doing to being. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Linda. That's an inspiring quote--glad I read it first thing in the morning! I enjoyed reading the interview that Linda Marcille did of you and I enjoyed your interview of Linda Friedman, whose work is beautiful. Thanks for commenting on my blog and contributing the recipe for lemons.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always good to have you visit, Nadia!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails