Monday, September 3, 2012

Shifting Perspective



"The rush and pressure of modern life are a form, perhaps the most common form, of its innate violence. To allow oneself to be carried away by a multitude of conflicting concerns, to surrender to too many demands, to commit oneself to too many projects, to want to help everyone in everything is to succumb to violence. More than that, it is cooperation in violence. The frenzy of the activist...destroys his own inner capacity for peace. It destroys the fruitfulness of his own work, because it kills the root of inner wisdom which makes work fruitful."
-Thomas Merton






This quote came to my attention recently through friends' posts.  Since then it has been working its magic on my mind and in my reflections.  With this shift in season from the expansive summer to transitional fall, I aspire to keep my focus on what is important, and lessen the distractions which suck my attention away and spread it thin.  Oh to lessen the busyness!  Let there time for silence and reflection as well as time for quality action and interaction.  Let there be kindness for myself and others.


4 comments:

  1. a nice reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an elderly Spanish woman once told me, "Americans are so BUSY that they don't DO anything." I think you hit the nail on the head!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very astute comment from that woman! Thanks, Nadia!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails