Monday, August 6, 2012

Joining the Fissures

Fluid Fissure 4 - © Linda A. Miller 2012

Fluid Fissure 4 is the newest addition to this series.  The technique for the series involves shrinkage to create three dimensional texture on the quilt.  I start with hand dyes and commercial cottons, which I machine quilt.  This piece was sparked by the wonderful yellow/green leaf fabric on top which was given to me by a friend.  These quilted pieces are washed and dried in the dryer until I get the desired shrinkage effect (here I let it wash longer to shrink more, and simply love the effects! - What do you think?)  From that stage, I can applique sections together and embellish with paint, oil sticks, couching, and hand embroidery.  As I have often said before, this is one of my favorite meditative processes.

Fluid Fissure 4 (detail) - © Linda A. Miller 2012





Fluid Fissure 4 (detail) - © Linda A. Miller 2012

6 comments:

  1. Love both the colors and the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the texture of the red section -- like lava-full earth waiting to burst through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great description, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, that is truly gorgeous! : )))
    Monika in Canada

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails