Thursday, April 12, 2012

Inked

Echo, 31.5"x17.5" © 2012 Linda A. Miller
Echo, 31.5"x17.5" © 2012 Linda A. Miller



Here is the recently completed Echo.  Over the past year I have been exploring mark making with ink on fabric.  I first discovered the technique in creative process workshops which are influenced by the brushwork of contemplative traditions.  As a fiber artist, I wanted to see how this worked on fabric.  It works well!  Once the painting was complete, I pieced on the borders in the style of traditional Asian scrolls. 









  




Echo, 31.5"x17.5" © 2012 Linda A. Miller
Echo (detail)  © 2012 Linda A. Miller



In my mind, this quilt called for hand echo quilting around the ink work, with the borders being machine quilted.  I added touches of hand embroidery to tie in with the red highlightsThis overall style, along with the black and white theme, follows a larger quilt I recently finished for a juried exhibition (have not heard those results yet).  Simplicity was an important element, as well.  

The process has been satisfying.  May you enjoy this quilt.

3 comments:

  1. Striking! A series, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margaret. Perhaps a series, yes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly deserves a series!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails