Monday, November 14, 2011

Practicing Patience


"Your best teacher is your last mistake."  --Ralph Nadar 

Ah yes!  The opportunity to learn comes at the most unexpected times.  Creatively, many a mistake has lead to wonderful new directions that I might never have considered.  
Now in knitting, mistakes with stitches are often are easily rectified, if you don't mind undoing what you've just done.  This just happened to me the other night as I was knitting the socks you see above.  I figure it is an opportunity to really learn the pattern and practice patience. (The pattern here is Anne Hanson's Almondine from Ann Budd's "Sock Knitting Master Class".)

Thanks to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's (AKA the Yarn Harlot) "At Knits End" for bringing this juicy quote to my attention. And to my SAQA friend, Margaret Blank, for telling me about Stephanie.

9 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to connect one of my favourite knitter-humourists with another knitter. Trusting you now follow her blog, eh?

    P.S. Wonderful colour way in those socks! What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, I do follow her blog now! the brand is Online Supersocke 100 German made "Canadian-Color"..on sale at my favorite yarn shop recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, knitting is both a practice in patience and in focus. I am amazed at how easily I can get distracted and make an error! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in agreement with you, Judy. I was knitting while waiting for a friend in a cafe, and later had to redo several rows because I lost my focus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look pretty nice, Linda. Have yet to try socks, because I can't imagine when I'd wear such pretty ones, not destroy them with use, and not really have them seen and admired. That's why I just finished a scarf (which took me two and a half months! A very long project for a scarf, but it turned out pretty well.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cheryl! I love scarves, too, but needed a new challenge in a small project...so socks began. And they are meant to be worn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm busy working on socks, too. Love the yarn you're using!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cindy...there are so many amazing yarns out there these days!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails