Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pen to Paper

It is that time again....I have been updating my resume and rewriting my artist statement.  Always seems an unwelcome process to start, but I have found help to smooth the path and make things easier.  I have been working with Alyson B. Stanfield's (art coach) book "I'd Rather Be in the Studio".  It is a fabulous, clearly written resource book that is full of valuable information on anything about self-promotion.  I highly recommend it to you!  Alyson has a blog and e-newsletter, in addition to many other ways to connect with her.  Check her out.
Artist Leni Wiener wrote an article in the recent SAQA Journal on artist statements which I found useful.  She posted examples of several statements on her blog to give an idea of what works and what doesn't...and why.  Caroll Michels' "How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist"  is also a good reference to have available.
This task, that has in the past felt like pulling teeth, is a necessary part of the working artist's life.  Though not one of my favorite projects, I always learn something new in the process. And over the years, I have seen improvement in my writing.  That old adage "Practice makes perfect." has something to it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails