Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Celebrating Color

Last night, I attended a talk by Kaffe Fassett wonderfully organized by one of my local guilds, Westside Quilters.  Admittedly I was not that familiar with the artist, author and designer, so was interested to learn more.  He gave a lively talk about his fascination with color and pattern.  
A California native, Mr. Fassett settled in England in the sixties.  While in Scotland he discovered the wonderful array of yarn colors derived from the infinite, subtle colors in the landscape.  This was his intro into the world of knitting, and the rest is history....  I was struck by what he said about the yarns, for that was my experience as well during my time living in northern England.  So many amazing yarns that I was unable to find in the States at the time.  Happily, that is no longer the case.
It was fascinating to hear about Mr. Fassett's process...how he uses pattern seen in everyday life to inspire his fabric.  He hand paints, hand quilts and hand knits.  I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and was uplifted by his use of colors and patterns.  Thank you, Westside Quilters!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, nice quilt guild to line up speakers like Kaffe! Love his needlepoint and mosaic books too.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails