Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Taking a Break


Last week I had the opportunity to get away to the mountains with my sister for a few days.  It was a rare opportunity to do something together, just us sisters. How refreshing to smell the clear pine air again!  Hiking the trails above Big Bear Lake brought a sense of quiet and connection...along with the wonderful physical exertion of exercise.  So good to leave the city behind.



The feeling did not last long once I got home...computer issues pulled me in to distraction again.  How easy to get sucked in.  I was reminded that even so I can take a moment to pay attention to my breath...coming back to ground.  

One of my favorite teachers, Pema Chodron, an American Buddhist nun and author, writes about just that....how we can relate to our life as it is now in the moment.  She writes "Make a commitment to pausing throughout the day, and do that whenever you can.  Allow time for your perception to shift.  Allow time to experience the natural energy of life as it is manifesting right now.  This can bring dramatic changes in your personal life, and if you are worried about the state of the world, this is a way that you can use every moment to help shift the global climate of aggression toward peace."    -Excerpt from "Taking the Leap"

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, Linda. Makes me pine for the Sierras....
    Where were you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful though you ended with. My feelings about worrying about the world: unless you are a community or national leader with some sort of broad influence, the best you can do is live a conscious, peaceful life, and spread that one connection at a time. Not by trying, just by living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Cheryl! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that quote. Good words to live by. The photos are wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails