Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March Doings

detail
Working on a new quilt that began in tandem with Fluid Fissure.   Seems to me the dyed background of this piece is more erratic (as compared to the last one), and will take more layers of paint, oil sticks, etc to resolve to my satisfaction. The interesting textures that arise from this shrinkage technique continue to engage me. So many wonderful surprises!

detail
Good to be working hands on the cloth again.  I have been clocking in hours of computer time recently updating  websites and blog (take a look at the new portfolio pages by clicking on the tabs at the top of the page), as well as applying for exhibits.  Entries entail writing statements, organizing images and filling out applications.  I soooo appreciate that more venues are now using the quicker online applications.   Yet, each venue has different specs or requirements, and it all takes time.  So it is important to be selective with choosing shows that are appropriate.  Of course, with juried shows, the final result is up to the juror, and that is out of my hands. 

All the writing and rewriting of statements has made this a good time for general reassessing things.  It is clear that more time spent hands on with the artwork is important, and that means less spent on the computer.  I was feeling a pressure to get out there in the cyber world more.  However I am not one who wants to post everything I am doing online...I just do not have that kind of energy...plus it takes energy away from what is a priority.  So if I must choose, I will sacrifice some of the online visibility.  There are ways to share with others without constant web contact.  After all, I must be true to myself and honor my nature.

Spring is springing up!
 

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you about posting everything online, my postings have slowed down because I'm not ready to share what I'm working on right now, and I know I'm making a sacrifince by doing that. Your shrinkage piece is beautiful, I love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...online visibility is important but the computer eats up so much valuable time that could have been spent in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love seeing the pictures from the garden. I know what you mean about the computer eating up the art time, but even more so, the art focus. I do, however, want to take a lesson from you and create some pages on my blog to showcase some of my art that hasn't been seen by my blog friends yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, Cheryl. Glad you will try out more pages. Happily I have pages linked to my website now, and can easily share more artwork. Looking forward to seeing more of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally sympathize. I'd rather create than be at the computer. There are only twenty-four hours in a day!BTW I love the colors in your piece.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails