Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A New Quilt Trunk Show...

I had been undecided about creating a piece for the upcoming SAQA 2011 Travelling Trunk Show "This is a Quilt!".  With the deadline looming, I got to sewing.  It proved to be just the right re-entry project for this new year.  Hello, sewing machine!  Nice to be back.


This piece is hand dyed and appliqued.  Once machine quilted, I washed and dried it in the dryer to get textural effects from the shrinkage of fabric and batting (this technique is my current area of exploration).  Hand embroidery and couching finished off the 8" square quiltlet.
The trunk show is designed to showcase SAQA artists, and to help educate the public about the art quilt form.  Selections from the previous trunk show, which I was also a part of, could be requested by guilds and groups for presentation to their members.  I assume this will be the same for the 2011 - 2012 version.  It is a wonderful educational tool, keeping in line with the SAQA mission.  Keep it in mind for your group.

6 comments:

  1. I love your work. This looks like a peaceful river to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors and I love the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striking -- and the texture from deliberate shrinkage is great. Can't wait to see this show at the Conference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments, Ladies!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails