Thursday, January 27, 2011

Finding a Voice


Recently I find myself continually simplifying.  I have been learning qigong where we are encouraged not to think, and to listen to the body.  As a long time yoga and meditation practioner, this is not something new, but it has somehow opened a new understanding.  It has seemed to me that spending too much time looking out distracts from finding my own inner voice.  Looking out is so easy, what with internet availability...and often easier than taking time to look in or to do my artwork.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how wonderful it is to have the world so easily connected and open in so many ways.  We are social beings and connection is important.  I am saying there needs to be a balance, and that is different for each of us.  I am monitoring how I spend my time and reviewing my priorities. 

A related subject on Virginia Spiegel's blog during an interview with Jane Dunnewold.  I found her advice to artists who looking for their creative voice or artistic direction particularly challenging.  Check it out.  You may not agree with what was said, but it is food for thought and reflection.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is very important to find that balance. I have been thinking about this myself lately. It would be a difficult challenge for me to take Jane's advice, but I agree that it is important to find what inspires me without outside influences and work hard at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...thanks for pointing out Jane Dunnewold's comment about finding one's voice. I want to think some more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her (Jane's) view is a strong one, but again it is her view. We do need to find our own way!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails