Friday, December 17, 2010

Holiday Baking

For a change thought I would turn this into a food blog entry.... One of the holiday traditions we had growing up was cookie baking.  Oh, did the house smell great!  These cookies, consisting of 5 or 6 varieties from our Swiss and German heritage, were only made at the holidays.  We enjoyed them ourselves and gave as gifts.  First Mom handled the baking, of course, then as I grew older I began to take on more of the responsibility for the family cookies while my folks still lived nearby.  Mom still bakes her batches.  I have carried on baking, something I love to do, in my own home.  One year I gave the recipes with the cookies, so others could make them as well.  With reducing activities this season, I am sticking with two big batches of my favorites: Chocolate Drops and Hazelnuss Makronen (Hazelnut Meringues).   Thought I would share them with all of you - visually that is, and with recipes...

CHOCOLATE DROP COOKIES

8 oz semi sweet chocolate
1 tbl butter
2 eggs
¾ C walnuts, finely chopped
½ tsp vanilla
⅛ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ C flour
¾ C sugar
Melt chocolate & butter together, stir until cool. Beat eggs until foamy, add sugar 2 tbl at a time, beating 5 minutes more after all sugar has been added. Blend in chocolate mix, then add rest of ingredients.
Bake 350º, 8 -10 minutes on greased or parchment lined sheet. Makes 3 dozen.

HAZELNÜSS MAKRONEN

¾ lbs powdered sugar (about 3 C)
6-7 egg whites
4 ½ C ground filberts (1lb shelled nuts)
whole or half filberts, as topping
Beat egg whites until form stiff peaks, fold in sugar followed by the nuts.
Drop by teaspoonful on to parchment lined baking sheet. Top each cookie with one nut.
Bake 350º, 15 - 20 minutes or until dry.

What traditions did you grow up with?   If you try these, I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...they look delicious! Thanks for the recipes. I am planning to do my baking Sunday afternoon. You're right....Christmas cookies make the house smell wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome...let me know what you bake...

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMM...yummy! My Christmas tradition is to make chocolate fudge, which I've done every year since I was 8. It's all I'm making this year (no shortbread cookies, no cranberry loaf, no Christmas dinner) because my daughter's making her first Christmas dinner at her new home. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat for you, Margaret, to go to your daughter's.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails