Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Seeing

"You are not copying nature, but responding to nature in full awareness, to the way nature expresses itself in that object."
 -Frederick Franck



"The Zen of Seeing- Seeing/Drawing as Meditation" by Frederick Franck was one of the most influential books I read as a young artist.  For me the seeds connecting art, meditation and mindfulness were planted with the reading of his words....and my experience with the process of seeing/drawing.  He writes: "We do a lot of looking: we look through lenses, telescopes, television tubes...Our looking is perfected every day - but we see less and less."  Seeing is his word for truly connecting with what is in front of you.  How relevant his words are today, if not more so!  Check out this insightful hand written book and other works by the artist.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! I'm cj from Jane's class. I love the work you are doing. I, too, was very much influenced by Frederick Franck's book, along with DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN by Betty Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJ- Thanks for the reminder about Betty Edwards...so many excellent resources.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails