Sunday, October 31, 2010

Contour Drawing


Continuing on with watercolor journalling, Jane LaFazio has given us contour drawing this week.  Oh, do I love this, always have!  Releases me from getting too tight and aiming for perfection in rendering.  Just going for it, letting eye and pen be linked by following the form of the subject.  The pen is never lifted from the paper as you go.  Then color is added with paint.





I am reminded of contour drawings that inspired the creation of small journal quilts several years ago.  Here is my process that began from a self portrait blind contour, meaning I did not look at the paper at all during the drawing.  The photo shown is not the original one, but you get the idea. 

I drew into the linear image with watersoluble pastels. Next, I scanned the completed drawing (having first sprayed it with fixative to keep the scanner glass clean), then printed it on the inkjet printer on prepped fabric (one option: Printed Treasures sheets that are printer ready in various types of fabrics). 
This became the basis for the quilts by cutting up the printed fabric and applying as applique with other materials and threadwork for some fun results, as you see below.  Try it for yourself in any subject matter, and let me know how it goes.







"Self Portrait" 2008


"Restriction" 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails