Monday, October 13, 2008

"Portrait of the Sewing Artist" exhibit opens at Sewing Arts











My solo exhibit opened last Friday and was very well attended. I was thrilled to see everyone and excited to be able to share the work with the larger community!


My statement: I set the intention over the past year to grow my creative life. This exhibit displays the flowering of the year's journey. I have drawn from elements in my visual vocabulary as well as expanding out in new directions. The sun, representing light, clarity and energy, is a significant recurring image that continues to intrigue me. I relish finding different ways to visually describe that potent, life giving energy. Vibrant color has remained a vital component, often becoming the starting point from which a piece will evolve. I have deepened trust in my intuition, and allowed process to be as important as the end product. The “Squiggles” series is a wonderful example of joy of process. Starting with soluble stabilizer sheets and cuttings of fabric, yarn, or ribbon, I then become absorbed in drawing and coloring with threadwork. The results are unexpected. I delight in using thread as a way of making marks to express beauty. I enjoy finding surprising new discoveries that feed my artistic curiosity.



The show continues through October, and the Center is open Monday to Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. http://www.sewingartscenter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails